Rudyard Kipling once said, “Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind”. I couldn’t agree with him more! I LOVE WORDS! For me there is nothing more influential than having the ability to express your right to Freedom of Speech. I suppose it’s my affinity for the English language that has inspired me to progress down the purpose path of education, writing, and motivational speaking. I know that when the right words are spoken one’s life can shift towards success. This is why when I am facing life’s complexities I look for the comforting yet inspiring words of my mentors all around the world. Two icons that I have true admiration for are Michelle and Barack Obama. Even in great moments of adversity both exemplified true excellence and combated any negativity with the power of purposeful and poetic parley. I would like to pay homage to our former POTUS AND FLOTUS by presenting my “top five” inspirational quotes by the dynamic duo for their dedicated service to the betterment of mankind everywhere.
FORMER FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA’S WORDS OF WISDOM:
- Our motto is: When they go low, we go high.
- Choose people who lift you up.
- One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am.
- You can’t make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen.
- My happiness is tied to how I feel about myself.
FORMER PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA’S WORDS OF WISDOM:
- Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- Our destiny is not written, but by us.
- We need to internalize this idea of excellence. Not many folks spend a lot of time trying to be excellent.
- Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.
- If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.
Thank you Michelle and Barack Obama…for your innovative change and firm stance through dynamic discourse.
By Dr. Avis Foley
Co-Publisher, Purpose Weekly